The Parish Church from the south
The original early Norman Church has been incorporated into the later Early English building. In the fourteen century, the north aisle and chancel were rebuilt, clerestories were added over the arcade and the south wall and the tower was constructed.
Over the south door there is a Norman carved tympanum constructed between 1090 and 1120. The sandstone structure shows naively carved figures thought to represent the weighing of the soul. The position of the figures over the entrance would remind the congregation as they entered the church that the Day of Judgement is inevitable.
The font, which has a very large bowl, is early Norman. At the west end of the nave there are surviving Jacobean stalls with arabesque carvings. Inscribed on them are the names of the church wardens and the date 1640.
The recently restored Perpendicular tower houses three bells which are in regular use.
In the chancel there is a life-size effigy of ‘Matilda’ who was the widow of Brian Fitz Alan of Bedale c. 1340.
The Church does not have a dedication – the records were apparently destroyed when the Scots raided the North in the twelfth century.
For details of services and contacts
Website – www.wiskebenefice.org